For haiku, please visit Language Gallery. Thank you!

2006-09-11

>mung bean magic, mignardise style

I vividly remember the first time I laid eyes on these tiny jewels. I was then attending classes at Dover Court Preparatory School in Singapore. (Here is the new location, which I am not familiar with.) A student's mother brought these wondrous Thai treats to school one day. I didn't know what they were, so I made up a name.


Satin bonbons.

I dreamed of creating a gingerbread house studded with satin bonbons. Many years later as I learned the real name, some of its magic rubbed off. They were called... luk chup. Sounded like lousy ketchup. Ah, apparently it means "small magic". It would indeed lend a magical accent to any dessert. It is made with mung beans, coconut milk and sugar.
A beauty with a beastly name...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |