For haiku, please visit Language Gallery. Thank you!


>chicory vs. endive

Recently I had a delicious cup of chicory milkshake at Coi in San Francisco. Chicory has confused me forever. Here is the simplest explanation of the source of this confusion.

The bunched white leaf vegetable with yellowish border is called endive (or Belgian endive) in America. It is called chicory in England, where radicchio is chicory as well. The green curly leaf salad, also known as frisee, is called endive in England. In America, it is called, what else, chicory. Chicory "coffee" is made from (American) endive roots. I think I got it now. I won't confuse myself right now with escaroles and curly endives...

No comments:

Post a Comment